I learned to read in my pediatrician’s waiting room with Highlights for Children Magazine. To this day, Highlights graces nearly every pediatric and dentist office I have ever visited, so it is no surprise that they have over one billion copies in print.
Highlights is a magazine for children (motto: Fun with a Purpose!) and has graced the shelves of homes, libraries, and waiting rooms since 1946. The family-run magazine began in Honesdale, PA and now has offices in Ohio.
Highlights continually accepts submissions via Submittable for work tailored to any of the products listed below. Payment rates for accepted submissions are listed on the respective Submittable pages below.
- Highlights Magazine seeks general interests for ages 6-12. Word counts and specifications can be found on the Submittable page here.
- High Five seeks stories and poems for ages 2-6 that are 170 words or less which focus on social and emotional development.
- High Five Bilingue also seeks stories and poems for ages 2-6 in English AND Spanish (not translations).
- Hello seeks stories less than 50 words and poems less than 25 words for ages 0-2.
- Hidden Pictures Puzzles invites artists to submit illustrations meeting the exact specifications found here.
Note for Young Creators: Writers and artists younger than 16 are invited to share their creative work here only. Highlights is will not accept minors’ work via Submittable.
Highlights is an incredible resource for readers of all ages. The websites are professional, engaging, and user-friendly. To learn more please visit https://www.highlights.com/ or http://www.highlightsfoundation.org/.
Here’s their submission guidelines.
Erica Secor earned her Ed.M. in English Education from SUNY Buffalo. She lives with her husband and dogs in South Carolina. When she is not teaching college English, she writes non-fiction and middle grade horror. Erica welcomes connections via @TheDavisGirl or LinkedIn.